my favorite spot on earth

my favorite spot on earth

Thursday, January 21, 2010

An Explanation for my Title

If anyone here has read Human, All-too-Human: A Book For Free Spirits by Friedrich Nietzsche, you can probably easily identify my title "The Hour Hand" from the 586th statement in the 9th division of his first book...but, considering a lot of you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll explain here ... as my first blog entry. 

"The Hour-hand of life - life consists of rare single moments of the greatest importance, and of countless intervals during which, at best, the phantoms of those moments hover around us. Love, the Spring, every fine melody, the mountains, the moon, the sea - all speak but once fully to the heart, if indeed, they ever do quite attain to speech. For many people have not those moments at all, and are themselves intervals and pauses in the symphony of actual life".  

This quote illustrates the ease at which individuals accept their destiny as a "human-being", not a human-achieving, not a human-reflecting, not a human-excelling, but instead a pause, an interval of existence. Now, just to clear things up, so people don't consider me pretentious...I'm not trying to say that I'm excelling in life, or some sort of over-achiever. However, I do think that maybe we should start appreciating every little thing that happens within these pauses. Although achievement is quite the subjective construct, I consider the the term synonymous with success. Moreover, I consider success an outcome of happiness -one's ability to dance with life, to sense everything it has to offer. So, my blog, along with many others, is intended to bring a certain contemplation or appreciation for life. It will consist of a compilation of "human-reflecting" moments that hopefully, in one way or another, will mean something to someone. After all, although there really are only several moments of the greatest importance, who ever said that the small things cant count?

1 comment:

  1. Yo Rei, I just wrote an entry in my new blog that was inspired by living in the Present moment. What I took from your entry and your desire to start a blog was the desire to share with your friends and the world your appreciation for the little things that make life so fun. By living in the Present moment, I've found a lot of happiness and appreciation too and I'm curious to see if I've interpreted the hour-hand as you meant it. Send me that link tomorrow too, please!

    ReplyDelete