my favorite spot on earth

my favorite spot on earth

Thursday, June 17, 2010

the elegance of the hedgehog

Yesterday I made a trip to borders in search of a good book. I decided to make of a somewhat blind purchase of "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" just because I love anything french (its original written language), and I love hedgehogs (even though the plot has nothing to do with the animal). Considering I had no idea what the book entailed, I really feel as though my decision was fate. The book's two narrators compile an eloquent anthology of essays that discuss their personal philosophies about beauty, time and the meaning of life. I haven't yet finished the book, but I can already tell it will be one of my all time favorites. I highly recommend it to everyone (although the writing is a little dense).

"Can one be so gifted and yet so impervious to the presense of things? It seems one can. Some people are incapable of perceiving in the object of their contemplation the very thing that gives it its intrinsic life and breath, and they spend their entire lives conversing about mankind as if they were robots, and about things as though they have no soul and must be reduced to what can be said about them - all at the whim of their own subjective inspiration." - Muriel Barbery

No comments:

Post a Comment